Upwork is an online platform that connects freelancers with clients who are looking for services such as website design and development, software/mobile app programming, UX/UI design, digital marketing, and a lot more. By allowing buyers to post a project and freelancers to create profiles, marketplaces enable buyers and sellers (freelancers) to collaborate. Also, freelancers can bid on projects according to their skill set.
Buyers (clients) can view freelancers’ profiles on Upwork and invite them to their jobs if they like their skill set. Millions of freelancers around the world use the marketplace, which is by far the largest freelance website.
Here are 7 ways to win Upwork projects if you are a new freelancer.
- Create a compelling profile: Upwork’s profile is the first thing potential clients see when they visit your profile. Making a good impression is important. Include a professional photo, a clear and concise overview of your skills and experience, and any relevant certifications or achievements in your profile.
- Bid on the right projects: Only bid on projects that are a good fit for your skills and experience after carefully reviewing job postings. Freelancers should keep their bid proposal precise which essentially means, addressing the client’s problem put forth in their project placement.
- Respond to clients promptly: It is all about being first. When a project is posted or a client sends you a message, respond immediately. This depicts freelancers’ professionalism and quality of service.
- Be flexible and adaptable: Upwork is one of the world’s most populated and highly competitive marketplaces. With too many options at the client’s disposal, a freelancer needs to be willing to accept an opportunity extended because of saturated competition.
- Provide high-quality work: Quality retains your client. The moment you are hired, think about getting your client on board with regard to deliverables, timelines, and processes and keep them up2date. Remember, a deadline means you have to deliver the project. The attribute alone increases the chances that the client will hire you for their future projects as well as recommend you to others for your services.
- Request client feedback: Well, you can not directly ask a client for feedback on your profile. This goes against the company’s TOS (terms of service). The best way is to ask them about their experience with you.
- Network and build relationships: Upwork gives freelancers an opportunity to build relationships with clients by providing quality services. Engage in the Upwork community, it enhances your chances of exposure.
Stay vigilant, on your toes, and keep your skills and experience up to date on Upwork for you to remain competitive as a freelancer on this world’s largest platform. If you want to learn, here’s the best freelancing course that walks you step-by-step toward a successful journey.